As you can imagine I absolutely love the 1920s! Just for fun I wanted to take a look back at the 1920′s!
I know it is difficult to conceive a world without all the latest hand held electronics but once upon a time children actually kept themselves occupied with:
- creating make believe play with dolls
- kick the can
- sang songs and rhymes
- listened to the radio
- Cops and Robbers
- Cowboys and Indian
During the 1920′s:
- The oh so silly, Charlie Chaplin, was one of the most popular film actors.
- This little tid bit made me smile. The peanut butter and jelly sandwich was created in the 1920′s! Delish!
- Reeses Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars & Kool Aid was created.
- Red Lipstick made it’s first appearance and would be applied to create a cupid bow style.
- The hair dryer was invented. Can you imagine before it’s arrival women would connect a long hose to a vacuum exhaust pipe!
- Pooh Bear was born!
- The model T car arrived!
- Band Aids were invented.
- Swing dancing and dances like the Charleston were ”all the rage”.
AND I saved the best for last…MICKEY MOUSE was created and became the most beloved animated character of all time!
For a laugh read some slang words of the 1920′s and their meanings. Too cute!
- Bearcat – a hot-blooded or fiery girl
- Bee’s Knees - An extraordinary person, thing, idea; the ultimate
- Drugstore Cowboy - a guy that hangs around on a street corner trying to pick up girls
- Fire extinguisher – a chaperone
- GiGlad rags – “going out on the town” clothes
- Giggle Water – An intoxicating beverage; alcohol
- “Now you’re on the trolley!” – Now you’ve got it, now you’re right!
- Handcuff - an engagement ring
To read more http://local.aaca.org/bntc/slang/slang.htm